Sunday, February 6, 2011

Tweets BOM


Finally finished this block this morning after working on it since January every morning.
I used the reverse needle turn method since I kept getting burned with my iron using the freeze paper method so yesterday I purchased one of those skinny pointed applique irons to try on the next block.
I am not totally happy with this block for several reasons:
1. My points could be better.
2. I need something a little sturdier to stitch under besides a pillow so I am going to add some kind of board on the pillow to make it sturdier.
3. I used Valdini threads to needle turn and when I went to wash the ink from the block, the thread leaked and left yellow stains by the leaves which I quickly tried to wash out with a stain remover. I did not know Valdini threads were not colorfast!
4. My elbow swelled up again from so much appliqueing so I had an unsteady hand.
5. This was by far the most complicated block I have ever made.

I am open to suggestions please.

If you are interested in this BOM, go here at One Piece at a Time.

14 comments:

Terrie Sandelin said...

I don't do hand applique so I really don't have any suggestions. I just wanted to say that is a really gorgeous block. Your fabric selection is stunning.

Sheila said...

I have problems with points as well so I can't help you there ,the block is beautiful and it looks very well done to me . Must check out this BOM not that I need another project ;-)Sheila

Susan said...

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself...it's beautiful!

If you can find a cure for the sore elbows and hands let me know! I've been having the same trouble. The doctor says no more than 20 minutes at a time for hand work, but that's hard to do sometimes!

JustCindy said...

The block is beautiful! I don't have an answer for you about your points either as I run from hand work. The BOM is so tempting.

Marydon said...

Aren't we our own worst critic! I love it & it looks fabulous to me, my friend.

Have a beautiful week.
TTFN ~ Marydon

GIVEAWAY ends Fri.

Ann Marie said...

Remember you are your worst critic and if you don't point out the things you think are flawed, no one else will probably notice them.

Pat said...

I think the block looks wonderful and even with you pointing things out, I don't see any problem with this piece! (I'm not good at hand applique, so I can't give suggestions, either.)

Zoey said...

My first thought was WOW!

Then I read your commentary and enlarged the pic.

I still say WOW--it's a beautiful block!

Yvette said...

I think the block is beautiful!

I only use the freezer paper method for applique so I can't help you with the points.

I use DMC cotton threads for my applique and they don't run at all.

Deanna said...

I suggest you keep going. You may not think it is perfect, but it is pretty good (emphasis on the PRETTY) and certainly worth continuing.

I have considered doing that project, but just am not ready for it. Maybe she will do one again next year and we can do that one together. Hopefully I will be less crowded then.

Bethany said...

I think it looks great! I was thinking about doing it by hand via backbasting but realized my back wasn't going to take the work. Then I thought I'd just fold the edges over and machine applique. What a mess that turned out to be!

I've just decided to use fusible webbing and somehow machine applique it..that's if I get my color scheme figured out.

As you do the other blocks, you'll get better and feel more confident.

The Quilting Pirate said...

I'm still a learner at applique, but I use the freezer paper and glue it down techniques. I still think your block is amazing - the color choices are great and keep in mind once you wash your quilt, the points will be rounded in the end :)

Kathleen said...

It's a very pretty block anyway, but your fabric selections really make it fantastic.

Carrie P. said...

Sorry to hear you had so many problems but the block is stunning.
I always put my hand dyed thread in a cup of warm water and just let it sit for a while until I think the dye is out and then I place it on a paper towel to dry. I always do this with the Weeks brand of floss.