Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Resurgance of Home made gifts


It seems the trend for home made gifts is back and I couldn't be happier.
My mother in law, may she rest in peace was the queen of homemade gifts. she always made us something beautiful . Every year . I still have many of those gifts. Her workmanship was superb. I admired that so much.
Then one year out of the blue she stopped and started giving us all store bought items. The problem was she gave us all the same things. I would beg her to at least include 1 home made gift. Maybe she just got tired. I guess I will never know.
My best friend and I only exchange home made gifts at Christmas. Well really it is a gift since it takes us so long to make it.I purposely make gifts for my family, friends and co-workers throughout the year. I just feel so much better about it because I know they cannot buy it in a store.
The quilt shown is one I made for my granddaughter this Christmas. I try to make her 1 quilt a year. This pattern is from Australian Patchwork and Quilting , my favorite quilt magazine. This quilt was also my first try at machine applique.

2 comments:

KC Quilter said...

How adorable!!! Love it--and paperdolls too.

Roni Hunt said...

This quilt is so wonderful! I love it and agree with you...I LOVE making gifts...though I am not sure all the time if the recipients love getting them as much as I LOVE giving them!