Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Let's get a jump start on Christmas gifts 2010





OK, every month I will do a post or 2 on Christmas gifts.
I make gifts throughout the year. I kind of stock pile them and then make them into sets keeping in retrospect the taste and style of the person I make them for. I am not generating new ideas. These gifts have been made over and over again by many. They work for me and helps me keep my gift stash up to date.
I work on gifts a few times a month so that by the time December rolls around I have a nice pile. Now sometimes I do have to make a few extras for last minute items but that is just the way it is.
Often times, I make multiples. For example, when I make coasters I make several sets at a time and chain piece them. I do not make just one set because it is really much easier to make a couple of sets.
I do the same thing when I make towels, and mats.

Today I am making confetti glass ornaments using fabric scraps. I made these at the end of the year and I liked them so much that I had to make more.
I even made a theme one- a John Deere one.
These are easy to make for yourself or gift.
I used up scraps , cut into tiny pieces and filled the glass ornaments with them.
p.s. Source: Michaels and Joann's fabrics. Also try a craft store.

21 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

What a cute idea to use fabric scraps! Very creative.

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

What a clever idea! I have decided to buy presents (birthday or Christmas) through the year when I find something special for someone and got a head start yesterday in my favourite book store. Making Christmas stuff would work great too; I just "talked" to another blogging friend who made decorations every month through a year. I love the idea now, and will love it even more come December; I'm in!

Unknown said...

i love that confetti ball, what a great idea

JustCindy said...

How cute! Where do you find the ornaments? Can you find them all through the year?

Birdydownunder said...

great idea... now would that be a special glass ornament, if so could I have name and supplier.
Its good to think of presents all through the year isn't it.

Jean said...

Cute idea, Betsy!

Pat said...

What a GREAT idea....pretty for anyone and having EXTRA meaning for someone who sews....and I guess you could use snips of yarn for a knitter.

Toni said...

I have to repeat everyone's reply...what a GREAT IDEA! I've been cutting so much lately those thin pieces off the edge of the fabric when you are squaring it up and just sick not knowing what to do with it! This is soo perfect! Thanks for sharing this idea!

Paula said...

A quilter would really enjoy that ornament!! Great idea!

Anina said...

WONDERFUL idea!

Anonymous said...

I just saw these on another blog the other day and thought what an awesome idea! Yours are so bright and cheerful too!!

Barb said...

That is a wonderful idea to do that....i want to do it too and hope i do not get side tracked!!

Cardygirl said...

Oh you are inspiring...love the ornaments!

Cindy said...

And I'm going to look forward to each post about Christmas. I like being able to slowly but surely fill a laundry basket with homemade goodies throughout the year too.

Julia said...

What a GREAT idea....I would never have thought of it..
Julia ♥

Kim D. said...

Very creative idea!! I can't wait to see your other ideas throughout the year.

Janet said...

They are so neat and I've seen some great ideas with these but never seen them here in Australia.

Beena said...

Beautiful ornament! I wish my life wasn't so crazy, because I would attempt to do the same with making projects throughout the year. Can't wait to see yours, anyway!

Micki said...

What a neat idea! It is so pretty!
Micki

Ivory Spring said...

Cute, Betsy! :)

Thanks for your kind words on my yoyo's - they are going on birthday party invitations for my 1 year old. :)
http://www.ivoryspring.wordpress.com

Darlee said...

I love your idea of sewing on Christmas projects all year long. It spreads holiday cheer and a festive atmosphere throughout the year - sure beats that hurried mode most people seem to dread.